How old are the big fall walleye?
+ Reply to Thread
    Jumbo Perch

How old are the big fall walleye?

On charters I often get asked how old the big walleye are. Below is an image showing how old they really are. This chart came from the Glenora fisheries and their Quinte walleye tagging program. You can see these big walleye can be 20 years or older.

[img]http://[/img]

I have also heard that "a 10lb walleye is long past its prime spawning". This is categorily false. There are several studies that show not only do the big mature females have significantly more eggs then the smaller females, but their fry are larger and have a lower mortality rate. Combine this with the good genetics and the importance of handling releasing these big walleye even more important. Yes, as a charter operator I do have clients that choose to harvest fish, but I try to encouraging keeping the smaller younger fish and allowing the large mature fish to keep our fishery as one of the best in North America.

Scott

2. Remove Advertisements
    FishingBayOfQuinte.com
    Advertisements

Minnow

Re: How old are the big fall walleye?

Great information Scott and kudos on encouraging the release of the trophies. It must be tough in your position to find that balance between happy customers and the sustainability of our fishery.
    www.sunrisecottageresort.com. Prince Edward County

Re: How old are the big fall walleye?

Thanks Scott
    this is great information. It is always a touchy subject on forums when someone wants to keep a larger fish and points out the regulations are put in place for a reason. Whereas that maybe true eventually keeping too many of the prime brood stock will reflect on the fishery. For years it was thought that the most productive spawners with the highest yeild was the first 2 years of sexuall maturity. Now biologist know that older the fish the higher the yeild. This defeats the purpose of slots in the 16 to 21 inch range.

The question is, what size is the threshold of conservation. Some anglers just want a guideline or recommondation. Is 24, 26, inches? Personally 22 inches is my limit but my preference is 18 to 20 inches.

How big does everyone else keep them?
    After 250 days a year on the water and ice I still feel I need more Time on the Water

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in