forecast for next weekend is nast
+ Reply to Thread

forecast for next weekend is nast

The long range forecast by next Saturday looks nasty. Calling for -1 and 50 kph sustained winds. Is that fishable anywhere? Where do you draw the line? For me I let the weather turn me back home but if you are a charter how far in advance do you makethe call? Everyone has a different safety tthreshold.
    After 250 days a year on the water and ice I still feel I need more Time on the Water

2. Remove Advertisements
    FishingBayOfQuinte.com
    Advertisements

Jumbo Perch

Re: forecast for next weekend is nast

No matter who you are you should let the weather turn you around if the conditions require it. Especially in the late fall as cold water is very very unforgiving.

As for when I will cancel. There is no magic formula. First and foremost is it a safety concern? If so I cancel with as much notice as possible. Often it isn't safety concern but a "fun concern". In my opinion fishing is supposed to be fun. If conditions don't allow for it to be fun then why go? Especially when I'm taking someone's hard earned money to take them out. Maybe the clients are new to fishing and rough water will be scary, maybe the fish are just not located in sheltered water. Sometimes it is still better to cancel if even the weather isn't dangerous.

Scott

Good point about being fun Scott. When I was younger I always seem to be on a mission to get out in any weather. Now I understand my limitations. I'll still go out in nasty weather but I'm prepared for it and if I'm not doing what I went for I'll head in. Sometimes in tournaments its about competition which drives you a little harder. Running 30 miles in hard rain can test anyone. That's what we did in the Berkley B1. Every inch of us and the boat was wet and it hasn't dried since. I wish I could get my boat in my garage but its also 9 feet from fender to fender on the trailer.

Off to the car wash to use their wet vac.
    After 250 days a year on the water and ice I still feel I need more Time on the Water

Big Old Bass

Great topic...

Scott...the fun Factor is a huge concern and glad you mentioned it. Not only for guiding and fishing but also for pleasure boating and boat tours.

Years ago I was on a K-Rock boat cruise out of Kingston. I had to attend as I was on the short list to win a trip and if I didn't, I was out of the running.

The wind was brutal and lake had blown up like I rarely see but begrudgingly, my wife and I went. I said to the radio dj standing at the entrance as we entered the triple decker boat "this wind is crazy...I personally don't think this is a good idea..." He laughed at me!

We left and the wind was less in the River but as we came back closer to Kingston, it blew up even more. It was so bad, the wine glasses in the hanging shelves meant to not be able to come out, were flying out and breaking all over the counters and floors at people. The bottom level had water pouring thru the doors, the drummer had a bucket he was throwing up in as they played (I'm sure the only reason they kept playing was to keep peoples mind off of what was happening) and you couldn't get up to walk safely.

Now I'm used to being in waves and rough water fishing. My wife not so much as had to be sick in a solo-cup cause you couldn't make it to the bathroom.

At the very last of our adventure and before we turned into Kingston off of Wolfe Island, I heard the engines revving very hard and strong. I said to my wife, "this is gonna be interesting...hold on!" Just then, the bow flipped up and landed on a 45 degree angle to face Kingston. I gotta say that Capt. and all of us had luck on our side...

The Coast Guard were called and were following us in...it was that bad and a horrible decision was made by the radio station. In an effort to alleviate concern for legal action from those attending, they called everyone within a couple of days later to make sure they were ok.

We were to go to a party that night at friends but the experience left my wife very sick and unable to do anything. We will never attend these contest events and although I'm sure they wouldn't do it again, the wife will never get on a tour boat again...

Really takes the fun out it for sure!

Cheers

Paul
    At least its a good story rather than, we went out it was freezing and rough and someone got sick and we caught one fish. ;D Yours is like the Titanic

Big Old Bass

So true...I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread but thinking about being in rough water reminded me of this and how awful it was for everyone. :-)

.....and the winds just keep coming. The forecast doesn't look great for winds so I guess its just going to be a bumpy ride. Might have to do more drifting than trolling.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.