How do you keep your boat dry?
+ Reply to Thread

How do you keep your boat dry?

I love fishing in the late fall but one problem I have is a month or more of a wet boat. The carpet is always soaked, the locker are wet and start to mold. Sometimes I put the cover on with a small heater but that only does so much, never really dries completely. I love my Ranger but it would be nice to have snap out carpet.

How do you keep your boat dry at this time of year?
    After 250 days a year on the water and ice I still feel I need more Time on the Water

2. Remove Advertisements
    FishingBayOfQuinte.com
    Advertisements

Minnow

Re: How do you keep your boat dry?

Helps john if you only fish a couple times a year, plus keeps the fish smell down ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
    I have the same problem, but mine fits in the garage which helps.
    I try and keep my drain plug out and all my lockers open to let air flow.
    I know what you mean about the mold.

Minnow

I keep my boat on the water as late as possible every year from Quinte, G Bay, Simcoe, and the Niagara so I'm in a wet boat more times than not either from Rain or Snow.
    I follow a regular routine that seems to keep everything relatively dry and mold free.
    1) I usually don't cover my boat for the drive home. The hwy air seems to dry it out a bit, unless it's snowing or raining then I'll cover it so it doesn't get any worse.
    2) Boat goes in the Garage when I get home. If you don't have that option those winter shelters work fine. Before I moved to a place that had a garage I use to use one that was big enough to park my boat in, just the tongue of the trailer stuck out. It lasted about 3 years.
    3)Once it's in the garage I take the Wet Vac to all the carpet.
    4)Open All Compartments
    5) Plug in my Space Heater for a couple of hours
    6) Turn on a fan to get the hot air from the heater moving around
    7) Wipe off all the excess water from Seats, Dash, compartments etc.
    Once you get into a system it goes pretty quick. About 1hr but well worth it.
    Then I go clean the Fish hahaha.
    So little time
    So many fish

Minnow

Hi John,

Same as above for me with one addition. I added a ceiling fan in my garage to aid with airflow. simple, but really helpful!

if you're outdoor storage use a box fan drawing outside air blowing under the cover. Positive pressure ventilation gets the dampness out when the weather is decent.

Cheers!
    G

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.