Pike scent on lures
+ Reply to Thread
    Minnow

Pike scent on lures

Hi Guys

Is it true that if you catch a pike, the pike will impart a scent on your lure, making it less attractive for catching other fish? If so, what can you do to your lure to get the scent off? Do you add commercially available scents?

Thanks
    Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    FishingBayOfQuinte.com
    Advertisements

Big Old Bass

Re: Pike scent on lures

This is a question I've wondered for a long, long time myself.

I always heard that you should change your lure and cut a couple of feet off of your line. I've done this but very rarely unless I'm fishing a tournament and suspect more of a line issue than the scent.

If I have a bottle of some sort of scent, I will spray it on though but again, it has to be pretty much close by; like I'm literally tripping over it, or I get too lazy. :-)

I'm curious what others think about this so please share...

Cheers

Minnow

Funny you bring that up, I've thought that sort of thing because of the strong smell in the slim that gets on your hands, then touching your next bait.
    Muskie slim has to be the worst.

I have certainly heard the theory but I actually can't say I've ever had an instance where I have noticed a difference. There have been numerous times fishing for bass and caught a pike and then a bass on the same lure immediately afterward. I used to automatically change baits when it happened but I don't bother anymore unless of course I get bit off.
    After 250 days a year on the water and ice I still feel I need more Time on the Water

Minnow

I always rinse my lures with scent after I land a pike. I'm supersticious this way.
    www.sunrisecottageresort.com. Prince Edward County

Quote Originally Posted by SunriseCottageResort
    I always rinse my lures with scent after I land a pike. I'm supersticious this way.
    That might be the safest way especially since there are spray scents now. When I'm fishing with Bob Izumi he is constantly spraying his lure with Gulp Alive. I used to stuff my tubes with herring oil but have since stopped.

What scent does everyone use?
    After 250 days a year on the water and ice I still feel I need more Time on the Water

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.