Confirmed disease affecting walleye at Thompsonís Point.
+ Reply to Thread
    Minnow

Confirmed disease affecting walleye at Thompsonís Point.

Discussion amongst anglers has revealed numerous cases of a disease that has had a vast impact on walleye holding in the area. The virus commonly known as MTD is widespread, yet its mortality rate is yet to be calculated. MTD (Mouth and Tail Disease) is not new to the region, but its concentration in the area is reaching peak levels and anglers are beginning to notice its impact on the fishery. The primary symptom of the disease is a diminishing of space between the mouth and tail of the walleye. Where an angler is expecting to see fish in the class of 6 to 12 lbs, they are finding that these fish are morphing from pounds to inches at a conversion rate of 1:1. While initial perception is that catch and release of these infected fish will not further harm the fishery, it has been noted that an ever increasing number of anglers have began targeting these vulnerable fish. They are holding in deep water, tight to bottom and in great numbers. Although very easy to catch, returning them safely may not be as easy. Even when retrieved at a slow and steady rate to the boat, almost all of these fish will have their swim bladders exposed in their throat. Although these fish return to their deep water haunts full of vigor, it is unknown exactly what their long term effects will be. It is requested that anglers targeting these MTD infected fish do so in a manner that looks ahead to the long term sustainability of the fishery so that the MTD infected fish are able to have a timely recovery.

My personal preference at this time is to troll higher in the water column for fish without any trace of MTD.

Jeff

2. Remove Advertisements
    FishingBayOfQuinte.com
    Advertisements

Minnow

Re: Confirmed disease affecting walleye at Thompsonís Point.

nice post jeff
    i personally travel to quinte for hogs not numbers
    My biggest worry is that when I die, the wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Big Old Bass

Thanks for the informative post Jeff.

How deep are the anglers fishing that are pulling up fish with there swim bladders inverted?

If anyone has pictures of a fish with this disease I would love to see it. I had some freshwater fish in a tank that got tail rot, I wonder if this is like that.

aRon

Minnow

The disease part was actually my lame attempt at satire. I should stick to fishing over comedy!

MTD = Mouth and Tail Disease where their mouth is too close to their tail. (ie, they are too small!)

As for the swim bladder issue, pretty much anything over 25 feet and you have to be careful. A lot of people are jigging fish up at 50 feet of water.

Jeff

Minnow

Quote Originally Posted by john c
    i personally travel to quinte for hogs not numbers
    I agree. This time of year is about a big, heavy fish. And if you want eaters, then there are spots for that too. But most of these fish that are being caught at Thompsons are 6-12 inches. That's not even an eater. There are the odd larger fish mixed in, but 95% of them are small.

Jeff

Big Old Bass

I don't know Jeff I think you should take a look at this photo again. That fish doesn't look so healthy.

Minnow

LOL!

Jeff

Minnow

HAHAHAHAHA Mako! Funny stuff.
    Gord Schultz<br />NPAA# 553

Sir. Walleye

Thats a beauty look at the teef on that sucker!!!! Jeff you must have been fishing deep to catch that one...... Just joking !!!
    Mike

Jeff,

Did you catch that fish near the outflow of a plant somewhere? Maybe it is the affects of the blue-green algae.

LOL...well done Mako.

Scott
    8 waterfront cottages, 34 boat slips, boat rentals, tackle shop, walleye and salmon charters, fishing packages.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.