Dec 14/09 - Last Time Soft Water 2009???
+ Reply to Thread

Dec 14/09 - Last Time Soft Water 2009???

Hi there,

Laker and I were able to arrange our hectic schedules to free up a day for possibly the last soft water fishing for 2009. Launching at Shermans went very well, the ramp was clear, cept a small patch of ice where the water had been lapping against the cement. There was snow on the road to the ramp from the parking area, the Explorer handled it - no problem!

Away we go - and I forgot the planer boards at the trailer, back to the ramp and ten minutes later we were off and heading to Picton Bay. Passed a boat who said they had boated a big one. Water temp in Picton Bay was at 35 degs F.

Saw a solo angler net a fish and continued to troll into the Bay with about seven other boats. We were getting antsy with no action and we had decided that one last run thru and we would head off. Trolling past some boats who called to me, we all discussed that was happening, when our plane board fired and Laker had the rod. A couple of minutes and into the net slide a nice walleye. Nine and half Pounds.

Well, we had to make a couple more passes and when they didn't produce, we headed back to Thompsons as we hoped to be able to get up Long Reach , but were blocked by a Reach full of very thin ice..... The water temp at the mouth of Hay Bay was 33 degs F.

We set the boards and began to troll, dodging the thin ice floes, the current was moving the ice mainly the west shore and it opened up some areas to troll. Here's what the trolling was like.

It was a great day to fish in December, NO WIND - How the winds change - eh Steve!!!!!! We keep trolling and heading for the launch ramp maintained marking a large number of fish on the Lowrance. (That's what those TV fishers all say!!)

Almost ready to call it a day, the board wiggled a little and there was a fish on!! I took the rod and really thought we had a nice fish for the table as the pull wasn't that strong. Laker slipped the net under the fish and it was a lot bigger than I thought. Nine and three quarter pounds.

One thing we did was to solve some of the mystery about slow trolling and the depths to which the lures would dive to. The Precision Trolling book is predicated on 1.5 MPH, but what is you're trolling at 1.0 MPH????

That's the great thing about fishing, you are always learning something.

We had a super day, with some success - Not Skunked is a good thing.

Back to the ramp at 1630 and headed home. Unless there is a MAJOR change in the weather, this will be the last soft water post. I'm not one to eagerly await the hard water, when it comes - it comes, if it were remain soft til Mid January - no problem.

Stay Tuned

David aka Superdad
    David Delcloo&nbsp; aka&nbsp; Superdad<br />Retired - Kingston / Hay Bay<br /><br />[IMG]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/superdad4sure/IMG_2442-Superdad-2x1.jpg[/img]

2. Remove Advertisements
    FishingBayOfQuinte.com
    Advertisements

Big Old Bass

Re: Dec 14/09 - Last Time Soft Water 2009???

Great report and some nice fish.

The shot of the planer board really shows how calm it was.

Good going.

Cheers,
    aRon

Minnow

Great Job David. Great way to end the season.
    Gord Schultz<br />NPAA# 553

Minnow

Hey there we saw you fishing that day.(young couple red lund) That was the first time i wanted wind lol
    It was so calm the ice would form in mins..I marked 29.8-31temp jiggin thompson without a bite, started trolling n the boards would b breaking the fresh ice :-X got frustrated n went 2 picton bay.... first pass & the clicker let out 2 lil farts Our first fish on a board 10.5 lbs which she reeled in!! (we also thought it was going 2 be a eater lmao!) boat is put away till 2010 :-\ c ya&#39;s on the ice
    Heres a pic of the wifey&#39;s 12 lbs hog caught jigging daz be4 Lifes good!!

Big Old Bass

Nice hog your wife landed HumD420!

And even better catching it jigging.

aRon

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.