Fishing vid..
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishing vid..

Minnow

Fishing vid..

Hey John or anyone
    Do you guys have cool "Learn How to Catch Walleye" vids?
    Or different baits you like to use and why?
    Just so some of "US" newbies can think we have a better chance at getting some fish.
    Not gps spot or anything just some "How to Better the odds"
    Play safe
    Flip

2. Remove Advertisements
    FishingBayOfQuinte.com
    Advertisements

I don't have any videos yet but I am doing one for using the Vibrado and horizontal jigging baits.

You have to think of every technique as having different purposes. For instance, if you are trying to get attention and call fish in the technique and movement is much more aggressive. Larger fast moves covering more of the water column. Maybe baits with rattles or even spoons for flash.

Once there are fish in the area things can change drastically depending on stages of aggression. By the time we get to February the bite gets a little tougher and there is a little more finesse involved. Small moves, nothing jerky, and you have to work the fish up. If I'm using a vibrado I'm lifting not jerking the lure up. I want to raise it no faster than it takes to get some action out of the bait. I'm also playing the bottom a lot more until there is fish there, then I start the process of working the fish up with more of a lift and quiver motion. If I can't keep the attention of the fish I drop it hard to the bottom and do what I did to get the fish interested in the first place.

During a more active bite in early morning and late afternoon I'll play the mid level more with drops to the bottom and a more active pattern at the top of the range. It's hard to explain but I never want to chase a fish back down. I can follow it but not aggressively. This is a mistake a lot of anglers make but in a natural setting you won't get minnows chasing predators.

Much of what you will learn is simply a matter of feel and reaction but over working baits is the number one mistake.
    After 250 days a year on the water and ice I still feel I need more Time on the Water

Minnow
    Ok great advise once again.
    I was just hoping to try something a different.
    I bought 3 vibrato's and still yet to see a fish chase em......
    Even Whities but location and timing is key.
    Thanks
    Flip

Minnow

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by flippin View Post
    Hey John or anyone
    Do you guys have cool "Learn How to Catch Walleye" vids?
    Or different baits you like to use and why?
    Just so some of "US" newbies can think we have a better chance at getting some fish.
    Not gps spot or anything just some "How to Better the odds"
    Play safe
    Flip
    Hey Flip hear are a couple of techniques I use. The short quick snap of the wrist, Not your arm, let it sit for a three count then snap again and repeat. (buckshot or similar) Once the fish is on your screen is the tricky part. I have two tricks to get them to bite. 1st I'll just let it sit for maybe a 5 count then try and raise him with the walleye wiggle. Which is a super slow lift with while vibrating the tip of your rod aggressively. The 2nd is kind of the same but opposite. Do a slow lift while making your minnow on whatever bait you are using do the walleye wabble (a slow lift while slowly moving your rod tip up and down a couple of inches). Both techniques have two actions lift with your arms and wiggle, wabble with your wrist. If your using a Flutter Fish 3/4oz ( recommend copper, gold) instead off the quick snap. Use the high lift method to bring them in, which is just as simple as it's sounds rod tip at the hole slowly lift to the top of the hut then let it fall and your line becomes straight again then repeat. Sometimes I mix it up with a short snap and lift pattern with this bait. I also like to throw a live target rattle trap down and make some real noise before leaving any spot.

I find with Quinte walleye it's not hard finding the fish it's getting them to bite can sometimes be frustrating but thats fishing. I'm still looking for my first targeted whitty on simcoe caught one perch fishing 15yrs ago. But i have only been trying for 2 years. Hopefully my luck will change this coming weekend.

Wabler

Minnow
    Great advise there, I will give it a go next time I head up there
    Whitefish are getting caught on Spreaders and high hook this yr.
    All you got to do is find active fish, If you pm me I will give you a good spot to try.
    I fish simcoe all the time.. (I live on it)
    Flip

Minnow
    pm sent

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.