Looking for tip and places to Fish on opening walleye weekend
+ Reply to Thread
    Minnow

Looking for tip and places to Fish on opening walleye weekend

I just purchased a Jackson Big Tuna Kayak for my 40th bday. I have always wanted to fish the Bay for walleye and other species of fish but never had an opportunity.

If there anyone who can help suggest a few spots for opening walleye weekend and tips for fishing ....all would be appreciated.

this will be my first maiden fishing voyage with the tuna.

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    FishingBayOfQuinte.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum.

That is a nice Yak you acquired and should be fun to fish out of. Opening of walleye weekend will be a crazy weekend. The good news is you don't have to wait at the ramps LOL. Walleye will be returning from the river after spawning and can be found at any of the river mouths and any emerging weed flat close to it. These fish will stay in these areas until the water starts to warm. Keep in mind anywhere you go there is going to be a lot of activity and fish may spook easy. But in the yak you may have an advantage because you can remain stealth. I would suggest morning before sun up might be your best opportunity.
    After 250 days a year on the water and ice I still feel I need more Time on the Water

Minnow
    Thanks John. I will send pics for everyone to see.

Big Old Bass
    Hey BigTuna...

As John has written, river mouths are excellent and within the rivers themselves.

Although we typically fish it at night or evening, if you're looking for places with less traffic, I'd suggest trying the Napanee River from the Centre St. bridge and up to the falls. A lot of walleye stick around there and some rainbows still too. I'd also venture to the area close to the hydro lines down river. There are some good walleye within that area as well as some amazing pike fishing in the early season. I think you may be able to launch on the South side of the river; River Rd side at a small ramp just before the hydro lines themselves. This will also give you close access to the mouth of the river near Deseronto but boat traffic may be an issue.

Looking forward to seeing pics...

Cheers,

Paul

Jumbo Perch
    Big Tuna,

Where are you launching from? Will help in giving you a few areas to fish.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minnow
    Tuna,

Congrats on the new ride, lots and lots of walleye spots on the Bay of Quinte.
    Opening weekend can be a bit crazy on the water so I'd avoid all the major boat ramps. My first choice would be County Shores Campground/Fishing Centre. Great safe location on the bay, easy launching for a yak and amazing fishing only a few paddle strokes away. (Last years winner came from that area).

As for lures and techniques. You cannot go wrong with a jig and minnow combo or if your feeling really sporty you can troll shallow running crankbaits (original floating Rapalas, Rouges, and Husky Jerks are all popular in the spring. Black/silvers and firetiger for colours.) that's a lot of paddling tho. Casting rocky shorelines will alway be productive as well.
    Good luck and be safe especially at nite. (Headlamps are a must)!
    Nicholas "Walleye" Werner
    www.wernersanglingadventures.com

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in