First week of the season
+ Reply to Thread
    Jumbo Perch

First week of the season

Well the first week of the season if just about over. There have been a few surprises and a few predictions that are spot on. The winter/spring of 2014 was similar to the winter and spring of 2015 and I had been expecting this years opener and first week of the season to be a little bit slow. This has been correct for the most part as most people are getting 2 or 3 bites a day which is a long slow day in my opinion so this much has been bang on. What is surprising is how fast the water has warmed up. We had ice on the water 4 weeks ago and yet water temps are in the mid 50's on quinte right now which is very surprising. I would have thought with the water warming up so fast the bite would have picked up, but that doesn't seem to be the case quite yet. I don't have too much of a report to offer as I haven't been out much this week. I was real gun shy after the slow start to last years season and have booked all my charters starting the second week of May. I fished opener for fun and as most people reported our best bite was overnight from Friday midnight to daybreak. We had decided to have some fun and play cho cho charlie and troll from Pt anne to picton on opener. We did not double back on fish and just kept on going wanted to test all the water and look at the picture along the way. Big bay was good to us and we were 2 for 4 by 2:30 am on Saturday morning and continued to get the odd bite until about 5 am around the Deseronto bridge. Thats when the bite died and we didn't get another walleye until almost noon on Saturday. By far the best lure for us on opening weekend was the Rapala Scatter Rap Crank in firetiger and I had several other reports that scatter raps in both the minnow and jointed were producing for others. The scatter rap has really been a great bait for me. We only took one walleye on a worm harness with a tadpole and that was very surprising as the meat bite is usually my go to in the spring. I am anticipating this will really pick up in the next few days and the meat will turn on. Looking forward to a great season and I'll keep the reports coming once a week on here.

Working the structure off points like this will produce fish in the spring.

One of the walleye overnight.

A decent pike caught near deseronto

Scott
    Last edited by bayofquintecharters; 05-08-2015 at 09:46 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    FishingBayOfQuinte.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Scott

Clearly everyone had to work for them this opener. I was also surprised at the water temps. Everywhere I have been this year the water has been much warmer than expect.
    After 250 days a year on the water and ice I still feel I need more Time on the Water

Jumbo Perch
    Today water temp was over 65 according to a couple guys on the water today. It's crazy how fast it has warmed up.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Old Bass
    Thanks for takeing the time to post a report! I'm hopeing to bring the boat down to Picton here shortly. Looking forward to reading more! Tight lines

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.