Bark Lake with Bob and Wayne Izumi
+ Reply to Thread

Bark Lake with Bob and Wayne Izumi

This week I had the pleasure of joining Bob and Wayne Izumi and the rest of the Izumi Outdoors gang at Bark Lake Leadership Center. This is an incredible facility with over 600 acres, huge dining hall, meeting facilities, and pavilion around what is virtually a private lake. There are 57 cabins as well as lodge. More information can be found at www.barklake.com. This annual event sponsored by SD Johnson, makers of Glade, Windex, OFF insect repellent, as well as a list of other great products. Every year SD Johnson has a cross country contest for the employees of Canadian Tire and Home Hardware. The winners receive an all-expense paid trip to Bark Lake to fish with Bob, Wayne, and other select pros in the SD Johnson Cup tournament. This is a very relaxed event with a lot of eating, drinking, and story telling. The entertainment is Bob and his lifetime of stories and experiences along with the revelry between Bob and Wayne. Wayne wins the event most years and that just drives Bob nuts. It is amazing that they have probably won 100 tournaments together. There must be a formula there somewhere.

The itinerary starts with introduction/ orientation and dinner the night before the tournament. This is followed by a few hours of sleep, leisurely breakfast and blast off around 9:00 a.m. Then its on the water for 3 hours of fishing with a pro that the team draws, a long lunch, and back on the water for another 3 hours. Guests from as far as B.C. to New Brunswick are pared in teams with a pro for the morning and switch pros for the afternoon. Their total weight for the day determines the outcome.

Bark Lake near Irondale is a small lake with a healthy population of smallmouth bass and walleye. Teams can weigh in a combination of both. The trick to winning is getting larger smallmouth, and when I say larger I mean 3+ pounds. The walleye are all pretty skinny.
    The winners were Curt Jacobson and Markus Grey of Toronto. They were paired with Bob Izumi and Brain Hughes and had a 6 fish weight of 14.3 pounds. Second was John Mulvihil and Cam Davison with a total weight of 6 fish at 14.1 pounds. They were lucky enough to be paired with Bob in the morning and Brian Huiges in the afternoon. Third was my morning team of Toni Mulder and Mike Cleator with 14.0 after drawing Nick Cousvis in the afternoon.

We had another great dinner and award ceremony where I had to hand the trophy over to Wayne Izumi because Bob just couldn’t do it again.

Winner Curt Jacobson and Brad Eliason with Bob

Wayne Izumi with Dwyan Powel and Heyden Murakami

Toni Mulder and Mike Cleator with me

Nick Rombough and Dean Knipfel with Nick Couvsis
    [img]http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee487/5b6pjw32/Nick%20Cousvis.jpg[img

Marcus Grey and Scott Russell with Dave Chong

Anges Bedard and Greg Vrantis with Ward Edmonds who also owns Edmond GM in Bracebridge

Brad Eliason and Curt Jacobson with Brian Huges

Leandre Ledger and Vicky Ledger with Rob Lee

It really is funny watching Bob and Wayne making sure that neither one gets an edge on the other. Whenever Wayne weighs his fish Bob has to see it and vise versa

When we are there its easy to forget what the purpose of the facility is as we blast off between the canoe's

There is no hiding spots when your out there fishing. Everyone can see each other on this beautiful little lake.

Some of the 57 cottages are original lake front log cabins. We call this the Bobby Orr because this is where he liked to stay.

With any luck at all I'll be invited back next year!!
    After 250 days a year on the water and ice I still feel I need more Time on the Water

2. Remove Advertisements
    FishingBayOfQuinte.com
    Advertisements

Minnow
    Wow that place looks incredible.

Sent from my SM-N900W8

Minnow

Amazing time

Thank you John & Nick for an amazing time on the water, and Bob and Wayne for the entertainment. Man are these brothers competitive. I asked both pros we were out with, Which was more important: to win a $100000 tournament or to win this friendly fish off? They both said the friendly day was more important for the bragging rights!! What a great bunch of guys!!! Thank you again for an awesome couple days.

Toni Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Toeknee View Post
    Thank you John & Nick for an amazing time on the water, and Bob and Wayne for the entertainment. Man are these brothers competitive. I asked both pros we were out with, Which was more important: to win a $100000 tournament or to win this friendly fish off? They both said the friendly day was more important for the bragging rights!! What a great bunch of guys!!! Thank you again for an awesome couple days.

Toni Knight
    It was our pleasure Toni. Those two guys go at it every time they are together. It's all in fun and fun to watch.
    After 250 days a year on the water and ice I still feel I need more Time on the Water

Jumbo Perch
    Wow. Gorgeous place. I love those big northern pines and Canadian shield lakes. Absolutely stunning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.