Dec.06 - Crazy day on Quinte
+ Reply to Thread

Dec.06 - Crazy day on Quinte

I think this was the fourth final day of the year of boating for me. Every time I try to put the boat away it gets nice out and the forecast gets better. Better for open water anyway. The forecast for Friday and Saturday was incredible and I wanted to get back to Quinte for one last shot at a big eye. I called Paul Legacey and we made plans.

I’m in the truck with boat in tow by 5:00 a.m. I punch in my destination on my GPS. I could have sworn the voice in my GPS said “really, you don’t know how to get there?” I think the girl in my GPS was my grade school principle who was always sarcastic. Paul was coming from Kingston so I would call him when I get to Trenton which is now Quinte West because it sounds better. But as I approached Coburg I looked at the wind forecast which had changed again. In fact the weather man had changed the temperature as well. They can’t even get it right the day before. You know how they get to be meteorologists? They failed basket weaving in Collage. Once you have failed basket weaving there is only two options, meteorologist or professional angler. You can’t fail the meteorologist course because a pass grade to get the credit is 20 out of 100. Most of the students get 50% of the questions wrong 70% of the time. Enough about my weatherman rant.

We changed plans to fish the river Friday and since Saturday was going to be perfect with sunshine and no wind we would fish Picton to the gap along Adolphus Reach Saturday. Somewhere along the strip there should be a big fat walleye for me and Paul. It hasn’t been a banner year for fish coming in from the lake. That would be 3 years in a row. Normally by Dec. we are waiting for Scott Walcott or Bay of Quinte Charters to break the ice out of Picton Harbour so we can get out. Not this year, the water temps are still in the 40’s. What was once easy to find big fish at this time of year has become a grind for most. Even the charters boats have to work hard for multi fish days and they are sporadic. No one knows what the problem is or what’s changed. Some of the charters are fishing inside meaning Long Reach or into the Bay from Napanee to Belleville. There are big fish deep in the system already. Some are still fishing the lake. All seem to have the same impression that there are very few good days so far.

On Friday we fished Paul’s secret spot where we had 30 fish days in the past. It must have been a secret for the fish as well. We found one deep hole at the end of the day and caught 5 fish, all small. We did have one musky the size of a tree follow us in. We just got off the water as it was getting dark.

On Saturday morning we decided to launch in Deseronto and fish our way to Lake Ontario. We met some LSMB members at the ramp. I never know whether to mention names when I meet people in case they told their wives they were at a convention or something LOL. The launch at Desteronto is terrible right now with the low water. Your trailer falls of the end of the concrete so if you plan to go to Quinte I would suggest another launch until the water comes up.

I wanted to take a couple of smaller fish home for a meal so we stopped at one of our ice fishing spots then a community hole. Both produced small fish right away. From there we forgot about trolling. I can’t troll for long anyway, I get bored quick if the action isn’t fast and furious. The fishing was too easy jigging so we kept doing it. We never went 10 minutes without a fish. I don’t know where the mature fish that head out to the lake went but there are some impressive 2 to 4 year old year classes now. We found fish everywhere from 10 ft. to 50 ft. I was just dragging a Vibrado alone the rocky bottom and spiked it every once in a while. I’m not sure if they think its food or they just don’t like the noise. Paul also caught fish on a Johnsons Thin Fisher. We even caught fish just hanging the jig under the boat dead stick. Small walleye are like puppies. They have teeth and want to bite things. It was so easy even a meteorologist could do it. We saw our friends from the LSMB and they were busy catching as well. What was interesting was we did not get one fish on a minnow. The MNR were out doing a survey and they said the fish wasn’t great out on the reach where they came from.

By the time all was said and done we boated 51 fish and lost another 100 or so. They weren’t big and it might ruin the story if I said most were 16 inches or under. The biggest fish came at the end of the day. Once again we got in just before dark. The LSMB members were also coming in and suggested pulling out at a private ramp down the road because the trailers would not get over the end of the ramp Thanks guys. I guess we missed the opportunity to get a Quinte brute but we sure had fun. It’s not like it’s going to freeze anytime soon so I may have another chance to break my PB 14.5 pounds.

Looking down Long Reach as we were heading in. The sun that was promised just started to come out over the lake.

It is going to take a lot of cold nights to get ice where we ended our Saturday.
    After 250 days a year on the water and ice I still feel I need more Time on the Water

2. Remove Advertisements
    FishingBayOfQuinte.com
    Advertisements

Big Old Bass
    As always, a great report, John and it was an amazing couple of days fishing with ya. As much as I don't look forward to cold weather, ice-fishing this year will be a blast.

I hope you had the "look-red-n-older" lense on that camera cause man oh man, do I look weathered! :-)

Cheers

Two days of cold and wind must have aged you LOL.
    After 250 days a year on the water and ice I still feel I need more Time on the Water

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.