Dec. 13th - The Hangover on the Bar
+ Reply to Thread

Dec. 13th - The Hangover on the Bar

The Hangover on the Bar

You know the feeling. The cold damp reality, a little muddy in the mouth, feels like the room is rocking. After the party on the bar since December 1st where countless lakers have been caught for 12 straight days less a few blowouts, things are dying down a little. It’s like someone called about the noise and you start cleaning up. High winds from the south west turned Lake Erie into a chocolate smoothie and gave the Niagara River indigestion spewing out into Lake Ontario over the bar. Then the change of winds to the North East stirred it all up.

Bob Izumi and I thought we would head out for a few hours knowing it might not be perfect. Muddy water can shut down any fishery. Lake Trout are sight feeders so if the visibility is really bad they will move out to deeper water. If there is just colour they will hang around but become less active. You never know how deep the mud line runs when the river water meets the lake. Sometimes when there is an opposing wind pushing clear water into the current there can be good visibility in patches. That’s likely where you will find most of the fish. Paul Castellano of CastAdventures called when we were driving down and told us it shouldn’t be too bad.

We arrived at 10:40 surprised to see about 40 boats. Many were on the U.S. side and I assume they were weekend warriors that were not watching the line showing the border on their Navionics charts. Lake Trout is still closed in U.S. waters until Jan, 1st. We started a drift using swimbaits and within a minute we doubled up. I caught a nice laker but Bob had a walleye. A few lakers later Bob caught a very nice walleye. Then it was a brown, then a laker then a brown again. A regular smorgasbord of species. Whenever we drifted into very muddy water the bite died.
    By 1:30 the NE wind picked up and thinned out the crowd to 7 or 8 boats. The bite was slowing and since we launch at Port Delhousie to avoid the madness at Queenston we had to consider how bad it would get.
    Not a bad day all in all with 13 lakers, 2 browns, and 2 walleye. No monsters but a couple of high teens. If the wind doesn’t come back up things should be back to normal in a couple of days. There is still lots of photo opts out there. If you want to fish the river or the bar you might want to consider a guide. The guides in the area spend every day on the water and can put you on fish in a hurry. You can drift the river for Rainbow then head to the bar for lakers. Rather than take the chance of a winter storm, salt on the roads, or greaser slim all over your own boat you might want to call;

Paul Castellano castadventures.com
    Taro Marata Taro Murata-FishCity Tours
    Greg Amiel on Facebook

After 250 days a year on the water and ice I still feel I need more Time on the Water

2. Remove Advertisements
    FishingBayOfQuinte.com
    Advertisements

Great report John. I'd sure like to get out there one day and give it a shot.
    May try for next week.
    You Should Have Been Here Yesterday

Looks like the temps are going to stay warm enough
    After 250 days a year on the water and ice I still feel I need more Time on the Water

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in