How was the opener?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How was the opener?

Couldn't make it to the opener this year. How was the bite?
    After 250 days a year on the water and ice I still feel I need more Time on the Water

2. Remove Advertisements
    FishingBayOfQuinte.com
    Advertisements

It was windy both days, made sslow trolling difficult,but we hooked two, lost one at the net and my Grandson landed the next one - 5.93lb, 4th in Junior div. we were happy.

Talking to others,, there weren't a lot of fish caught in the Hay Bay area.

David aka Superdad

Thanks David
    Did you just troll?
    After 250 days a year on the water and ice I still feel I need more Time on the Water

Minnow
    We worked Napanee mouth, Forresters Isle, long reach, and hay bay.... Only 1 4lb walleye and 1 small pike. ... Tried everything.

Every one I talked to said the walleye fishing was tough.

Jumbo Perch
    It was definitely a little tough but weights seemed to be up. I'm convinced it has to do with all the noise on opening weekend. The fish go from having dead silence to literally hundreds of boats buzzing around the bay. The noise has to have a negative impact on the bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jumbo Perch
    I was out today and went 6 for 12 with several fish around the 5-6 lb mark. Shaping up to be a decent season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Scott
    I agree all the surface activity can sure put a damper on the bite. I see this every year at first ice in the perch grounds. When there is nobody out with the exception of a few walkers, fish seem to be very aggressive. Once all the activity starts with machines running around, the fish are there but more cautious. Once they get use to the noise and traffic they start to bite again.

Yes John trolled only
    David Delcloo&nbsp; aka&nbsp; Superdad<br />Retired - Kingston / Hay Bay<br /><br />[IMG]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/superdad4sure/IMG_2442-Superdad-2x1.jpg[/img]

Big Old Bass
    Sorry for the late reply...

Our Opener was a lot of fun...would have been better of course with you joining us John. :-)

We stayed at Mohawk Bay Trailer Park at the mouth of the River. We didn't get out until around 10 am but immediately started at the River and headed towards the power lines.

I had plans on doing some running around to the Narrows, Long Reach and possibly the flats in Hay Bay but the winds and my group of friends that for some reason don't like going fast to run and gun, kept us in the River. Hearing from others that did run, it turned out a good decision as no one I talked to did well. We ended up with 4 decent walleye, 2 nice eating size perch and a snagged sheepshead so all in all, it was a great day.

The River was producing well all the way up to the power lines and we seen a lot of fish caught but most fairly small. We didn't use bottom bouncers which most were and I think that helped. Obviously not with numbers but with size as 3 of our fish were around the 2-3lbs and all come off of my go-to colour of pink and white harnesses.

I made the regular stop just past the power lines to throw some spoons for pike but nothing was following so didn't stick around long.

After 5 hours of trolling against the winds, my back was getting sore, my TM batteries draining and my liver was asking for a refill so we headed back and called it a day.

Mohawk Bay Park was as always, awesome for us to be at. We rent trailers there and couldn't be happier with the place for our needs and location. Having a boat launch on-site is a huge positive. We didn't have to worry about crowds and line ups so were able to relax even more and take our time.

We didn't fish Sunday but packed up and headed back home to finish the beers in our coolers and continue the lies and stories.

Cheers,

Paul

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.