Potters - Jan 13, 2017
+ Reply to Thread
    Minnow

Potters - Jan 13, 2017

So, made it out to Potters this morning. Made the drive out to Pro Tackle first to grab some minnows, bought 2 dozen and let me tell you they are very very generous with their minnows, must have been close to 4 dozen in the bag. Got out to Potters at about 8AM and was on the ice and setup by 8:30AM. There was lots of ice, water frozen from the day before anywhere between 7-9 inches of ice everywhere. My buddy and I setup our new Frabill flipover hut in about 16 feet of water east of the green can. Marked a lot of fish, but nothing was biting. Threw a variation of buckshots, macho minnows, tingler spoons, jigging raps and clackin raps at them, but nothing worked. Had a lot of interested fish come inspect my bait as I could see from my flasher, but nothing. Stayed in this spot for about 2 hours before moving to try around different spots. Didn't mark much else in the other spots we tried. Ended up getting off the ice at 3PM to make the drive back to Toronto. Talked to a few guys getting off the ice and a few guys going out for the evening bite, not having much luck either. I'm now 0/2 for trips to BOQ, but hopefully one day I'll get onto one . Good luck out there!

2. Remove Advertisements
    FishingBayOfQuinte.com
    Advertisements

The area might be getting a little pressured so the times for a good bite might be restricted. The guys that were hammering them last week were using 1/4 once Vibrado tipped on both ends.
    After 250 days a year on the water and ice I still feel I need more Time on the Water

Minnow
    Thanks for the tip John, will definitely remember to try downsizing the next time I'm out. I only have the Vibrato's in 1/2 ounce, will have to pick up some 1/4 ounce ones. Just wondering, are the ends usually tipped with a whole minnow or minnow head? I tried both.

I use the 1/2 ounce and I don't tip them. But those guys tip the end with whole minnows and they seem to be doing very well even in pressured areas.
    After 250 days a year on the water and ice I still feel I need more Time on the Water

Minnow
    Awesome, thanks John! Will try that on my next outing to Quinte. Think I really just need to learn how to use my Navionics to locate good spots and structure. Right now I feel like I'm not using it to my advantage as I'm only looking at the water depth of spots. Tried looking for tutorials on how to effectively use Navionics on YouTube, but haven't found anything.

Big Old Bass
    That firetiger vibrato in 10 and 14gram has been dynamite as well! Fished clean or minnow heads on each end

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.